Monday, March 06, 2006

Cold Turkey

I've always believed soda is evil. One of my all time favorite books, Fast Food Nation, discusses at length how the fast food industry and soft drink companies are in cahoots to stuff as much sugar into the population as they can.

About three weeks ago I decided to give up soda entirely. None. Nadda. Zip. Not even diet coke. After listening to my dental hygenist for the 900th time tell me how diet soft drinks are as bad for your teeth as regular soft drinks (they all shift the pH in your mouth and encourage cavity causing bacteria), and my doctor telling me even diet drinks can leach calcium from your bones, I decided enough was enough.

Today I came across an interesting CNN article on the topic. Many renowned obesity researchers are now saying soft drinks are a major factor in obesity. Its an interesting article and food for thought. I don't think that soft drinks are the only cause of obesity, but the sugar/chemical soups cannot possibly be good for one's health. I do like the fact that the only people in the article defending soft drinks are the reps from the beverage industry trade groups.

Viva la ice water!

3 Comments:

At 3/08/2006 6:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

drink coffee heather!

 
At 3/17/2006 7:35 PM, Blogger Deeboh said...

I have read the same studies... I believe I will join you in your stand against soft drinks...
Kool Aid Ok?

 
At 3/20/2006 2:13 PM, Blogger GwenGwen said...

Kool-aid works for me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home