Monday, October 30, 2006

Want vs. Need

I've had a few opportunities lately to reflect on the ideas of "Need" and "Want."

I was watching a home improvement show where the couple noted their 3,000 Sq. Ft. house was too small to raise their three children and they "needed" more space. Not to be picky here, but generations (centuries worth of generations!) raised MORE than 3 children in less than half that amount of space. And most of those kids turned out well adjusted, no?

I also read an article that said the new "must have" for homes is two sets of washers and dryers "so you don't have to spend an entire afternoon on laundry." Convenient? Sure! But millions of people living today and in the past managed just fine without any washing machines - much less two!

So many excesses are commonly described as needs. Yes, the examples are extreme and not indicative of how most people live, but I've been innundated with the amount of stuff "required" for gardening, babies, gourmet cooking, holiday gatherings, blah, blah, blah. And by far, very little of it is "needed."

Its OK to have "wants," but I'm developing a strong belief that for our own good we, as a society, must do a better job labeling wants as wants and not creating an artificial sense of what is neccessary. Next time I find myself thinking I "need" something, I'm going to try to step back and examine where the desire is coming from. Is it really a need? If not, what I am trading to get this "want?" Is it worth it?

All I *really* need in life is love and happiness, neither of which come from having a 4,000 sq ft house with two washers and dryers.

1 Comments:

At 11/02/2006 2:24 PM, Blogger Deeboh said...

We have way too much crap in this 2100 sf house. When I think of a 4000 sf house, all I think of is the gas principle. Just imagine how the crap would pile up.

I am trying to simplify my life. To accomplish this, I am slowly going through my "junk" and asking the question. Do I really need this? it is a slow process, but it will be worth it.

Most citizens of the world do not have these problems.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home