Wednesday, December 07, 2005

What I wouldn't give for a piano!

I am now officially in lust with the song "Parting Gift" from Extraordinary Machine. Its a very simple song with vocals over a steady melodic piano. I remembered for about the billionth time how I am drawn to the piano. And I am SOOOOOO itching for a piano.
I played quite a bit in high school and college - it was always my retreat when I found science (or boys for that matter) overwhelming. In Morris there were about 10 rooms with baby grand pianos I could lock myself in and play everything from Beethoven to Tori Amos for hours. I'm not claiming to be a virtuoso...far from it considering I haven't played at all in over 7 years, but I like to play none the less. And the urge to play has been nagging at me more and more for the last year or so.
I actually HAVE a piano, but there is a logistic nightmare in trying to get it to my current house. The piano is very old (about 120 years if I remember right) and the harpsichord attachment is in need of restoration, but it is a family treasure.
My great aunt was a housekeeper for a wealthy family after dropping out of school in the 8th grade. The woman had a beautiful mahogany piano with ivory keys that my great aunt admired. The woman promised that one day, when she passed away, that the piano would be gifted to her. Decades went by, and one day someone showed up at my great aunt's door with the mahogany piano. The woman had passed away and left the piano to my great aunt in her will. I love that story, and I love the piano which is currently at my parent's house.
I know its pretty much impossible right now to 1)transport it a very long distance to the cities and 2)get it into my house up the front deck. Someday I will have MY piano. And I will love it and treasure it and have it restored in all its splendor :) In the mean time I need to find another way to get my piano fix. I could get a keyboard, but there is just something about sitting in front of a piano, listening to it resonate, flying over the keys and working the pedals. Yes indeed. I need a piano.

2 Comments:

At 12/07/2005 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know there are many electronic pianos that are a lot cheaper and smaller these days. And boy have they come a long way with key sensitivity and whatnot. I love to play the Piano too. I know Heather's mom is thinking of selling her piano--It's a Young-Chang in beautiful black. I could ask her about it again...

If you are interested in some fabulous piano music try Philip Glass. I recently discovered him because of the piece they played on Battlestar Galactica. I absolutely love it. The piece is called Metamorphosis One on his album called 'Solo Piano'. It's in the cheap bin most places! It is also on a number of compilations. Here is a link: http://www.buy.com/prod/Piano_Works/q/loc/109/60358471.html

'Talk' to you soon.

 
At 12/07/2005 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops. Go to Amazon for that link. Buy.com has the wrong one listed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home