Sunday, August 21, 2005

12 Days in the Hospital

Oy Vey!

So I went in on July 27th to have minor abdominal surgery, came home for 2 days, and by Saturday ended up in the ER unable to eat or drink. I was admitted to the hospital where I sat with the doctors assuming I had swelling in my stomach from the pain meds for 5 days. During this time I also managed to get pneumonia. On Weds, a test showed that I had an erosion (like a perforated ulcer) in my stomach and off I went again to surgery. I came out with an NG tube which removed everything I comsumed from my stomach. This was followed by a systemic infection that landed me in ICU for 4 days with a racing heart rate, low blood pressure, and a temp of 104.

After MANY procedures, far too much poking and proding, and tubes everywhere I got back to the main floor, where I stayed for 5 more days. I can't begin to express my appreciation to my friends and family who reminded me all along the way that I am loved. My finace really stepped up to the plate, spending time at the hospital every day and taking over wedding planning tasks. I sure do love that guy :)

After I got back to the main floor, Adam V, Dena, Adam and Heather came to visit - that really lifted my spirits! I got home on August 10th and have been working back up to normal activity. Yesterday I managed to be out and about for 7 hours for Amy and Andy's wedding! As sad as it may sound, that was very exciting for me.

I'm going back to work on Monday, and we'll see how that goes. Speaking of which, I work for the most awesome company and people. I have had zero pressure and several coworkers have called to check in on me. My boss, without any prompting, took it upon himself to work out extra time for me to finish my wedding planning. I *love* where I work.

The wedding invitations got out a bit late, but I think I can be forgiven. My mom deserves a medal for coming down after I got out of the hospital and spending two days helping assemble the invitations.

I'm fortunate and thankful to be alive. Had I been anything other than a relatively heathly 30 year old woman with an attentive nursing staff, I may not have been so lucky. I know I scared the bejeezes out of my poor Tom and my parents. I'm sure I could write a decently thick book on my experience but I'd rather not gross everyone out :) I think its sufficient to say that I am a lucky, lucky, lucky woman and I have been reminded not to take anyone or anything for granted...

2 Comments:

At 3/14/2006 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just checking out blogs, and thought I would stop and read yours since we have some of the same interests and ideas. Some ideas are a little much and some are right on. I am glad I stopped by just to say hi I hope you don't mind. Some people consider it spam I DON'T but if they don't want people to post why do they leave it open for the world to see. I have some great wedding information and articles available for free around 2000 savings ideas so stop on in if you want... I also have some of the most informative sites on yoga and baby gifts and baby showers. Hope you enjoy. Thank you.music from cloe and brady's wedding on days of our lives

music from cloe and brady's wedding on days of our lives

 
At 3/14/2006 1:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just checking out blogs, and thought I would stop and read yours since we have some of the same interests and ideas. Some ideas are a little much and some are right on. I am glad I stopped by just to say hi I hope you don't mind. Some people consider it spam I DON'T but if they don't want people to post why do they leave it open for the world to see. I have some great wedding information and articles available for free around 2000 savings ideas so stop on in if you want... I also have some of the most informative sites on yoga and baby gifts and baby showers. Hope you enjoy. Thank you.wedding dresses for men

wedding dresses for men

 

Post a Comment

<< Home